The budding Bao culture is slowly but surely taking the city by storm. Various restaurants in Mumbai are saying good-bye to the Pao to make way for the Bao. The latest entrant, The Bao Haus Co, a South Mumbai delivery service has swept people off their feet with its finger-licking delicious baos and burgers.
Started by Chef Siddharth Somaiya, earlier this year, this delivery only joint aims to create a niche for Pan Asian street food within the city and cater to individuals with a versatile appetite for world cuisines. What initially started off as an experiment to test the demand for authentic Taiwanese Baos has now launched as a commercial kitchen where Chef Siddharth and his team prepare steaming hot baos with the freshest ingredients and a delicious combination of spices. In order to serve the best quality, all breads, sauces and accompaniments are prepared in-house – even his signature Sriracha sauce.
For those of you who don’t know, a Bao, originally part of Chinese cuisine, is a steamed bread-like item that can be prepared with sweet and savory fillings.
What I tried:
– Prawn Crackers
– Hickory Smoked Wings
– Nasi Goreng Arancini
– Belgian Pork Belly Burger
– Belgian Pork Belly Bao
– Buttermilk Fried Chicken Bao
– Tofu Mushroom Bao
– Chocolate Bao
What impressed me:
– Prawn Crackers were addictive, unlike most that are available in the city. I loved the hint of salt and couldn’t stop myself at one
– Hickory Smoked Wings went perfectly well with the in-house Garlic Yogurt
– The soft and fluffy burger bun loaded with caramelized onions, Sriracha, juicy pork belly and a slice of cheddar has got me dreaming about the Belgian Pork Belly Burger ever since I’ve tried it
– The Belgian Pork Belly Bao, served with crunchy pickled daikon and peanut sugar melted in the mouth while the Buttermilk Fried Chicken coated with honey Sriracha glaze and sesame slaw was a burst of flavors with its crunchy texture and delectable accompaniments. Vegetarians can opt for the Tofu Mushroom Bao with sichuan pepper and peanut sugar. Deep-fried tofu, made in house perfectly balanced the spiced mushrooms and sweet crunch provided by the peanut sugar – a taste that lingered on long after we were done with our meal
– Bruleed banana and homemade marshmellows tucked into a fluffy chocolate bun, topped with hazelnut crumbs were a match made in heaven. Innovative combination and absolutely irresistible.
What didn’t impress me much:
– The Nasi Goreng Arancini could do with a slightly stronger flavor
By the end of my meal, I was stuffed and satisfied with almost everything I tried. Chef Siddharth was kind enough to serve us tasting portions of the dishes we sampled. The young and ambitious entrepreneur aims to change the face of delivery services in South Mumbai with The Bao Haus Co. His love for food can surely be experienced with every bite of the items on his 17-dish menu, that he passionately prepares and serves.
Surely going back soon again to sample the rest.
Shop No 10,
Om Moreshwar Sadan,
27 Rajwadkar Street,
12 pm to 3pm and 5pm to 11pm